Monday, March 29, 2010

Blockbuster

Just wanted to rant a little bit about something non-WoW related. I am happy Blockbuster is going down the tube. Back in the day I used to go to Blockbuster all the time to rent movies and games. Now I use Netflix for older movies and Redbox for new releases because it's cheaper and more convenient. I can rent my new release Redbox movies online early Tuesday morning and they'll be waiting for me when I pick them up after work that evening at any location I choose. I don't have to worry about going into a store and waiting in a long line and I don't have to worry about the movie being checked out already. If I'm looking for a non-new release then Netflix has a larger library than Blockbuster and I don't have to worry about late fees. I can watch them when I want to watch them. Blockbuster still does effect my movie watching even though I do not use them. That's because of the "Blockbuster Exclusives." I hate those damn things! I have to wait for those movies to come out on Netflix or Redbox until the "exlusivity period" is over. I hope Blockbuster falls apart so that we won't have those freakin Blockbuster Exclusives anymore. I will not pay $4-$5 to rent a movie for one night. That's ridiculous. I could go out and buy the damn movie for $15-$20 and keep the thing forever.

What I think will happen though is Blockbuster will go under, but the movie studios, or whoever the powers to be are, will keep new releases from going to Netflix and Redbox, so you won't actually be able to rent them for say about a month once they become available on dvd. If you want to watch it you'll have to buy it for the first month. After that, then it goes to the rental chains. That's fine with me. It will not change my rental or buying habits at all. I won't go out there and buy a movie instead of renting just because it's available on dvd. Only if the movie is one I know I will want to own will I buy it straight up. The others I will wait till I can rent it.

that's it, I'm done ranting.

No comments:

Post a Comment